Sunday, March 15, 2009

Warning

If you're single and just got laid off and attend a missions conference, at least four people will tell you that you should probably go to China and help the missionaries there. This will be like how people have told you for years, "So-and-so just started coming to church here and he/she is single." (Quote from Tim Tjapkes when I voiced this yesterday: "You're single, and I'm single, so you see we have something in common. I was kind of afraid that once we got married we would have nothing else in common, but then it occurred to me that we would both be married, so it still works.")

I think God wants you to do hard things, no question. But I think He also puts a spark of desire somewhere in your heart when those hard things involve major life commitments. Maybe I just haven't had enough of my youthful idealism beaten out of me.

Oh, well. At least people didn't combine the missionary and marriage thing and tell me I should move to Chicago for the unmarried missionary who spoke. I was actually bracing myself for that.

3 comments:

Stephenie said...

I told you to move to Chicago. But that was because you could hang out with more Mexicans.

Kerri said...

And if you did go to China they would ask you if you have tried eHarmany. Or at least all the Americans I met in Zambia told me that one.

Thursday said...

Steph, that's what I thought. And for your personal ease of mind, I have nothing in principle against marrying Mexicans.

Kerri...*sigh*....