Friday, March 20, 2009

Knowing as we are known

"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known." (I Corinthians 13:12)

I heard something rather terrifying yesterday. Something along the lines that women think they're complicated, but no woman is, because men know what they're thinking. Based on my own experience, I strongly doubt the universal veracity of the statement. But what if....

I don't know me all the way through, let alone have more than a working knowledge (sometimes no more than working suspicion) of anybody else. To me it is comforting to know that God knows me, that He can sort out all of the confusion swirling around inside of me so often, that He knows even the darkest parts of me and that Jesus covers those parts so they aren't a cause for shame.

If I didn't know that, I think the second best thing would be to know that if God saw the evil in me it would be judged, and that when the devil sees it he is after it. Because stranger than either the thought of God's forgiving love or His judgment, worse even than the devil's condemnation, is to be seen and known and dismissed. 

It's what I do. It's what you do. Every time we hear a cry for help, no matter how subtle, and turn the other way. Every time getting involved is somebody's life is a large time investment that we avoid. Every time I turn the TV louder instead of making a phone call, or writing a letter, or sparing a thought for another person on the whole planet besides myself.

So I hope it's not true, that people know more than they let on, but I fear it might be true, even just a little bit. And I can't think of anything more horrible than that somebody, myself included, might really see, really know...and just not care.

"If I have...all knowledge...but do not have love, I am nothing." (I Corinthians 13:2)

No comments: