Friday, March 13, 2009

Things to remember

  • No, yesterday was not Saturday. No, today is not Saturday, either. Tomorrow is Saturday for real. Next is Sunday. And the next day will not be Saturday, even though I still won't be driving to work (this is the longest amount of time I've spent at my apartment without being sick).

  • A day does not naturally break into segments from 6:30-8 (pre-work), 8-12 (morning at work), 12-1 (lunch break), 1-5 (afternoon at work), and 5:00-10:30 (post-work).

  • By the way, work is not just something you get paid for or someplace you go, it's an attitude and a state of living. I don't have a paying job, but I am not out of work in anything beyond an idiomatic sense.

  • Life is more than food, the body is more than clothing, and existence both encompasses and rises above what you do. For over seven years I organized and streamlined and now all that is not just behind me, it will be leaving the place where I took care of it. The people who bought that division have their own systems and probably don't want my handy spreadsheets or hand-written labels. The value in those years is to be found both in and beyond the physical work, and right now I'm thinking it has more to do with how people were affected than how wallcovering shipped (although the two connected).

No comments: