Monday, March 23, 2009

But about that job....

While I accept that it's good that I haven't been married yet (see previous post), it does mean that despite my childhood wish to be financially supported by somebody else by the time I was thirty, I have to support myself. I don't understand the economy. I don't understand hiring factors, and I don't know the secret words to make myself seem like a desirable commodity. I do not like being a commodity.

I understand the economy more in an agrarian setting. "What, you need tomatoes and you have potatoes you do not need? Why, that is the opposite of my dilemma. Come and we shall make an exchange." "I need to raise a barn and barns need wood. You need clothes and for that you will need animal fibers such as wool. This will work out nicely."

And I? I know no such useful things. I have little to no interest in cooking, even. I can write you stories and sing you songs and urge you to think and make you laugh, but mustn't everybody want to do those things? I feel like the things people should get paid for are the things I would hate, like driving trucks or doing math or being nurses. (Most times I forget that some people actually enjoy those things.)

So. Here is a list of things I enjoy. Maybe somebody out there reading this knows how to turn straw into gold...I mean, strong preferences into marketability. (I hate selling myself. Have I mentioned that?)
  • Writing (but not journalism)
  • Editing
  • Children (but I don't have a degree in education or a desire to go back and get one)
  • Reading (silently and out loud)
  • Deep conversations
  • Human interaction
  • Acting/singing/performing of just about any kind
  • Directing
  • Organizing
  • Spreadsheets
  • Lists
  • Witty banter
  • Variety
  • Museums
  • Birds
  • Making things more efficient
Anybody out there with a gift for figuring out what other people should do with what they have? 

2 comments:

one-eared pig said...

If I did, you think I'd be here?

:)

Smart Aleck said...

for your writing: put up another website to post your writing to and have some click ads (ie Google Adsense) -- you won't make much starting off, but it is something to try.

for your acting: talk to parents and see if they would be interested in you teaching an acting/theatre class to their children