Monday, July 21, 2008

The "what, huh?" moment of the day

You know this moment. There you are, minding your own business, sort of but not really listening to what is going on around you, and you pick up a random fragment of conversation or radio chatter. The "what, huh?" moment is that instant of thorough disorientation that you experience in these cases.

Today I was pulling together some product samples for a customer when I heard a radio announcer proclaim exuberantly, "God saves you gas money!"

Half of me was ready to become indignant at such a claim, and the other half (I call this "the thinking half") focused intently on the words that followed, because no way could someone have said what I thought I just heard on the radio. That would just be crazy.

Sure enough, in his next sentence the announcer spoke more of this marvelous gas-money-saving entity. And the word he used was not in fact "God," but "Dodge."

Anybody reading this have any funny mishearing stories to share with the class?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My story: Five seconds ago when I came to the word "Dodge" in your post, my brain read "Doogie"

Who knows why THAT particular name would be in the forefront of my brain though...

Nick said...

But you know there are people out there who really believe that God saves you gas money.