Friday, July 18, 2008

I'm totally against the Poles

(The last word of the title is how my college buddy Al misheard the word "polls" in a political conversation we were having.)

My poll is proving both unscientific and unsatisfactory, since nobody who is answering "yes, with qualifications" is explaining the qualifications. I just want to know why women who wear jelly roll shirts think that looks good. Or why men like to see jelly roll bulges on not-really fat women. It is a deep mystery to me.

Also, without comments I'm wondering if this issue is falling along the predictable gender lines, as the only commenters so far are both guy friends of mine who felt like I was trying to trick them. Don't worry. It's not a trick. I already have a bad opinion of male standards of attractiveness, beaten into me by years of good church people saying "Men are just very visual." Over. And over. And over. Nobody says "Women are just emotionally hyper-sensitive" like it's an okay thing that can't be dealt with on any level having to do with the women themselves.

This is turning into another post, the post about how I despise any gender-based or "that's just how it is" excuses. Sorry. 

*sigh*

The point is, I am curious about the "qualified" in "qualified yes." Actually, there are two points. The other point is that polls are useless.

Poles, however, have made some important contributions to our society and should be welcomed and thanked.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No see, you are the one stereotyping me.

All I'm saying is that I look for other things in a girl than the clothes she wears.

Personal opinion: At best, good fashion sense tells me at first glance that you care about your appearance in a conformist type way. Sometimes conforming is bad. But there isn't anything inherently wrong with modern fashion trends. I'd rather have someone care about their appearance in a conformist way than be a nonconformist in an 'I dont shave my legs' way. But there are so many exceptions that I'd barely call that a rule.

If you're attractive, you'll probably be attractive in whatever you choose to wear. If you're unattractive, clothes aren't going to fix it.

That's why I qualified yes. Fashion trends do not in and of themselves make someone unattractive.

p.s. 50 more minutes til Act 3!

Thursday said...

I never said I WASN'T the one stereotyping. I stereotype at a rate of at least 65 words a minute.

As for attractiveness...would I go out with a supervillain just because he could sing? Probably not. But might it make me think about it longer and look for some kind of hidden goodness? Probably.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Micah. Also, I don't think you were trying to trick me.
-Tim