Sunday, July 27, 2008

Baby, It's Cold Inside

I have a love/hate relationship with HVAC systems (heating-ventilation-air conditioning, for those who didn't have enough engineer friends).

I love that I can have the air on all summer, which enables me to sleep through the night instead of tossing and turning uncomfortably. I love that I can turn the heat on in the winter, which prevents me from freezing to death.

The part that I hate? How other people use it. 

Not other people as in individual home choices. If you want to crank your air down AND open your windows in the summer, or if you choose to turn your heat up higher than 62 degrees in the winter, those are your energy choices, not mine. I probably don't spend that much time at your house on a regular basis, anyway.

Church and office choices, however, affect me every week. So far this summer, my new office space has not been too cold. I am rather inclined to think that this is because the HVAC system hasn't regulated yet instead of because we're consciously saving money. So far my church has not been too cold, either, but that's because we meet in a school gym and there's no air conditioning. This morning I went to my parents' church and the thermostat was set to 70 degrees. It was quite cold.

Here's my HVAC outlook. Since you can expect people will dress to match the temperatures outdoors (e.g. shorts and t-shirts in the summer, long pants and sweaters in the winter), you can also expect that people will be uncomfortable if the temperature inside does not mirror outside temperatures to some degree.

Short version: if it's cold outside, I want to put on sweaters indoors; if it's hot outside, I don't want to wear sweaters indoors. This is part of the overall seasonal ambience that comes with living in a temperate climate.

3 comments:

Kerri said...

As someone who designs the systems I can tell you general practice says they do take the season into account.

But I agree with you. The problem being that how warm or cool you like the room is so personal there is no way to satistisfy everyone.

Thursday said...

Yeah, in practice "taking the season into account" means the year consists of a 4-degree range. I just wish people would realize my way was the right one. ;)

Kerri said...

Yeah, it's too bad the whole world doesn't bend to how we want to do things.

Right now at work I think the temperature is perfect. It works for me to where pants and a short sleeve shirt but then one of the guys who sat by me asked for special permission to wear shorts because he was always hot. There is just no way to get it right for everyone