Monday, June 26, 2006

Best Groupie Award

Goes to two young girls from my church, who came up to me after each of the first two VBS skits to say things like, "You had a rough crowd. You guys were good, though. We were laughing. Don't worry; they'll come around." They are so sweet.

The skit group for this year has not yet had a practice together. The other two people in the skit are married to each other, so they've run lines at home. Then there's me. I love this stuff. I am comfortable onstage (sometimes more comfortable than I am offstage). I wish we didn't have to concern ourselves with microphones, but it's a necessary evil when your stage is really a platform in a gymnasium. Good acoustics are for the coddled.

Tonight my fellow actress told me a story about a play she was in where they dropped a crucial plot element in the first act and had to weave it into the second act. This was funny to hear because I, too, have had this experience (though from a directorial standpoint). It's kind of a rush in a way--or it is when it works, and in our cases it worked. Hers was even more involved, because while my play was The Importance of Being Earnest (the dropped information regarded the information that Bunbury was not, in fact, a real person), hers was a murder mystery. Bit more intricate plot.

No comments: