Wednesday, June 14, 2006

And my password is....

Well, I'm back from Sedona. Lots of family fun, some hiking, and virtually no change in skin coloration (thanks to our friend sunscreen)! On with the blog....

You know how some people say humans only use 10% of their brains for cognitive function? Mine is probably down to 7%, because at least 3% is occupied by log-in and password information. What is my log-in? What is my password? Again, and again, and again, for a plethora of websites. (And don't think I don't know what a plethora is, because, trust me, I do.) This would be easy if I ignored all internet security advice to the contrary and had One Password to Rule Them All. But paranoia runs strongly through my family on one side, so I have a hereditary predisposition to it.

I bet a hacker could find his way into my personal information faster than I could. (It's not a real bet, for any hackers reading this. No fair taking me up on a fake bet.) I recently lost my online banking information, by which I mean I forgot it. I tried the "Forgot Your Password" link, but in order to make use of it I need to remember my check card PIN. I don't think I've ever used this check card. Want to take a guess as to why?

Back in the old days, all you had to do was remember was the combination to your safe. That's when you weren't keeping all your money in your mattress, or in a flour barrel. But there where downsides to the old days, one of the most horrific of which was the absence of proper indoor plumbing.

So I'll keep trying to remember all of that password information--and wondering what I could do if all 10% of my cognitive facilities were at my disposal.

No comments: