Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Youth Group Skit Directing Notes

My directing style with people who don't take it seriously is rather...drill instructor.

Me: Janessa and Colin, I want you to...Colin...Colin...HUNTER! I'm TALKING to you!!!

Me: That's why it's called acting. You don't have to like it, you just have to say it, so SAY IT.

Me: You two! We need you here an hour ago, but we'll take now--get onstage!

The kids don't like me when I do that. But then if they play nice, I try to reward them...like pets.

Me: Great line reading, I think that's the best line. You're both right on target with that set of lines.

Me: That was much better, much...I knew you could do it.

Me: Good job; thanks, guys!

Because, really, all I want from them is for them to respect everybody's time and to put their best effort in for the group. I'm not looking for the next Dustin Hoffman, I just want them to do their best, because I know they can all do better than they think they can do.

And then when they do it, and the mutual respect clicks....

Colin: I'm sorry for being nasty and having a bad attitude.
Me: Thanks, Colin. I am not worried that you won't be able to do this. You're gonna do great.

It's a beautiful thing.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

I think it's totally brilliant that you're working with the youth group. Really. One of the more inspired Rainbow Connections of our times.

Karl Boettcher said...

Dude, just do like I do when I'm working with emotionally vulnerable people. I think, what would Dave Leugs do.