Monday, February 06, 2006

I don't do all-nighters.

The latest I've ever stayed up was the time I grossly underestimated how long it would take to put together a collage for my stage make-up class at Calvin. I was up until 5:00 working on it, but I was driven by "I can't believe I didn't do this yet and it needs to be done for class TOMORROW" adhrenaline. Group sports don't motivate me in the same way. I enjoyed my time at the youth retreat I went to on Friday night, but not enough to want to keep playing around for the whole night. Sleep is one of my favorite things.

Why then, you ask, did I sign up to be a leader at an all-night youth retreat? Well, I didn't know when I was signing up that it was an ALL-nighter. I thought it was OVERnighter. (Lesson: Read the brochure carefully.) I was going to try to stay up, but at about 2:30 I realized that I had lost the will to keep trying, so I slept on the couch in the lounge. This led to entertainment for lots of the kids and younger leaders, as when I woke up at 6:00 I got a lot of "Hiiiiii, Suzanne! Did you have a nice nap?" sort of greetings. One of these people said, "Did you sleep well? I was poking you." I asked if he was serious, and he said, "Yeah, I had a cue stick and I was poking at your finger and everything, but you didn't get up, so I stopped." Wow. Didn't know I was that far out of it. It felt like I was mostly awake the whole time.

A sad thing about the retreat last night was that it was held at the YMCA downtown and there were large sections of the place that were cordoned off. It makes sense, but I was hoping to get in some good treadmill and weight-lifting time. Oh, well. I ran around the track a few times (stopping for breath before making it all the way around) and discovered that running on a track is a step up from running on a treadmill. You create wind resistance on a track. Fascinating. Anyway, I probably did all right considering I've only been working on my running for a few weeks. And there were people cheering me on, which was not exactly helping because it made me want to laugh, but it was nice anyway. I didn't get to do the climbing walls, either. Now I want to go climbing. Sometime next month, maybe, as all my February weekends are booked already.

When I woke up on Saturday afternoon all I wanted was to go back to my new mattress--it's so much more comfortable than my old mattress was. (I can't believe I've been missing out on this quality sleep for so long.) Well, in a classic "be careful what you wish for" turn of events, I contracted an intestinal virus on Sunday morning and I was in bed from about noon yesterday until about 9 a.m. today, and I will probably be spending some of today in bed again, too. Well, at least it's a great mattress for almost-dying on....

No comments: