Monday, February 13, 2006

Hearing my own words

Usually when I write something, I can't remember exactly how it went. It’s on the page, so it's out of my head. I can remember lines here and there, but only as I remember someone else’s work. Sometimes I find that later I am quoting my own lines to myself, and that they mean something new to me now. It's almost as though in some way I wrote them to my future self.

To take some of the profundity out of that, the most recent work I’ve found myself quoting repeatedly is a short fanfiction monologue starring Spike of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame. The entire piece can be found at this link (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1810430/1/), but here is the bit that has been running over and over in my head: "Everybody leaves. One way or another, they all leave, even if all they're trying to do is stay. Life doesn't ask you for your opinion. [...] You can leave without taking a step, luv. It takes all our running just to stay in one place."

Oh, Spike...you’re so right....

No comments: