Friday, January 25, 2008

Today's Surprising Thought

This morning I logged into my Facebook account and saw that one of the new Super Poke options is "Boycott Valentine's Day with." (For those who don't know what "Super Poke" is, just imagine sending a note to your friend saying you are doing that selected action with them. But online, not for real.)

My first thought was, "I could boycott Valentine's Day with [insert name here]." My second thought was, "But why? That seems kind of bitter, and it's not like I'm dreading Valentine's Day this year."

This was the surprising thought of the day, as usually I am bitterly dreading Valentine's Day for a variety of reasons. As I thought more about it, I realized:

1) I'm too old to waste any more time being bitter on purpose. I have enough bitterness that I'm afraid to dig out without making special efforts at new or accentuated bitterness.

2) I have a lot of people in my life who are getting married this year, or exploring new relationships, or even just celebrating yet another year as a spouse. But I am not crying my eyes out over it and wondering what is wrong with me and where have all the cowboys gone.

3) I kind of like the idea of being "the okay single woman." Maybe my mission is to be single for the rest of my life, partly so that young girls who are wondering why they aren't dating and are either wondering if something is wrong with them or feeling pressure from friends/family/etc. can think, "Well, there was Suzanne. She was a pretty cool single person, and she wasn't completely useless or anything. I will be okay, too." I never had an "okay single woman" in my life. It might have been nice to have.

It's not like I'm hugely fond of Valentine's Day all of a sudden. (Hey. I don't even really like Christmas. Of course I could give you a list of reasons not to celebrate Valentine's Day.) But I'm not dreading it. Which is actually a very significant difference.

Some parts of growing up do make life easier.

4 comments:

Brittany said...

YAY Suzanne!!!!!

I love you for this!!

"where have all the cowboys gone"---this is what I wonder too. When i figure it out I will let you know.

I've been mulling over the thought of having a a valentines day tea party (girls only, to celebrate frienship...and maybe not ON valentines day...mostly just an excuse to use sip tea and eat yummies with pretty china)
will you come?

B

Stephenie said...

I WANT TO COME TO A VALENTINE'S PARTY.

Also, Suzanne I love you.

Lisa Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Ann said...

Suzanne, that makes me very happy too. I still usually ignore Valentines Day, except as an excuse to wear read.

I would come to a tea (if I'm invited), but not on the 15th, because then I'm hosting a Valentine's Day tea for Trina & Tacy and their buddies. They're going to pick the menu and decorations and everything. I don't know if I'll stick around for the party part though (not sure they'll want an old fogey like me). I might just go read in another room.