Wednesday, January 16, 2008

If I die before I wake....

In a recent discussion with a friend, we were talking about who would tell people if we died. Morbid? Not necessarily. You can think about such things without dwelling on them in an unhealthy way.

As I've thought about who would know first if I had died, and how the details afterwards would proceed, one thing keeps nagging at me: I need a will. Or maybe a living trust. Just a trust?

First of all, I need a basic understanding of post-death legal documents. And then I need one of those documents.

My step-aunt Susan died at about the age of 40. My cousin Bridgette died at about half that age. I'm not guaranteed tomorrow. Isn't it selfish, then, for me to live as though death won't happen eventually?

Someday, anywhere from tonight to decades from now, I will die. Then what? Who notifies people? Who gets my DVDs, which may by then be hopelessly out of date? Who gets to sort through all my old college paperwork and decide what to sell on EBay to my legions of adoring fans?

Hence the need for the legal document. Save whoever is left from probate.

I know somebody who has a CD made up that he wants played at his funeral. It contains songs directing focus to God, songs that strongly hint that physical death is only another stage and that what really matters is what comes afterwards.

This part makes me more nervous. Lately, when I've been casually thinking about my eventual death, I've been imagining something like this....


Upon arriving in heaven, Suzanne is shown a long line of people.


"Who are these?" Suzanne asks.


Her guide says, "These are people who never heard the Gospel."


"I couldn't speak to everyone," Suzanne says. "That would have been impossible."


"Look closer."


She looks closer and is horrified to see how many faces she recognizes.


"These aren't the people of Pakistan or Ecuador or Greece," her guide says. "They aren't the people you sent money to help. They are the people who sat next to you at work. They are the people you chatted with in long lines. They are the friends who stopped coming to church."


"But," Suzanne protests, "I've prayed that God would send strong Christians into their lives."


The guide looks at her. "Why did you think you were there?"


I know God is gracious and merciful. I know He won't hold my failures to speak against me. But I want Him to see less of them every year.

So this year, I want to get one of those legal documents.

And I want to start taking better care of my greater inheritance, too. Please pray that this may be the case. I'm so afraid to speak, but I'm growing more afraid not to speak. Pray that keeps up, and that God's words flow through me.

Because I want to wake before I die.

3 comments:

Lisa Ann said...

Ok, so this sounds morbid, but Tim's uncle Bob (their family joined Harvest recently) is a family lawyer. He could help you with that stuff, if you want, and he's very easy to talk to. Tim and I have been talking about getting a will for a while, too.

Call me an optimist, but I always imagine meeting a person or two in heaven that I never expected to see there, and to have them say that I was one of the people who helped point them on the way, by praying for them or talking to them, or whatever. Not that I'm doing all I can, of course.

I know we need to remind ourselves of our responsibility, but I hate stories that involve God rubbing people's faces in their sins and failures. He has already forgiven us. When we get to heaven, God isn't going to shake his head and tell us how disappointed he is. He is going to make us perfect.

Thursday said...

Actually, I was planning on talking to "uncle" Bob sometime this year about such things. I also want to talk to Ken about investment portfolios...networking....

Yeah, I hate those heaven guilt trips, too. So my little story is more of a reflection of my personal struggle to realize grace and to forgive myself for ANYTHING than of Scriptural theology. But there is the uncomfortable bit in Ezekiel about how if he doesn't speak, the blood of the people who don't hear is on his hands. Does that translate to a non-ordained 21st-century person's life? I don't know. But I do know that I want to explore ways to speak about what is important to me to people I care about, and that includes co-workers.

The fact that I do a lot of steering people away from my core issues probably gets in the way of a lot...hm....

Mom Jones said...

Beautifully written, Suz ...