Saturday, September 09, 2006

Denver Adventures

The Airports

The TSA came through for me once again with a sign warning me that the "Bandara Ngurah Rai International Airport in Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia does not maintain and administer effective aviation security measures."

I have to make a conscious effort to shut my brain off in an airport and on an airplane so that I don't think about the sheer volume of people before me who have used the same chairs, touched the same surfaces, and walked the same ground, with who knows what on their shoes. Another huge thing I don't want to think about: public restrooms. Possibly it wasn't a great idea to bring a Monk novel on this trip. But it was good to have a book to while away the extra hours I spent in the airport on the first day due to mechanical problems with the planes.

I was talking on the phone to Dad and wondering aloud why you could bring 4 oz. of contact lens solution in an opaque container onto the plane, but not 4 oz. of water in a clear container. Dad's response: "That's so you and your ten friends onboard can't flood the airplane."

The Cows

Kerri and I went to downtown Denver on Saturday and walked around. Here we are waiting for the light rail to take us downtown:



We saw many cows from the Cow Parade. Some of my favorites:



This one is called "It's Your Moove." I'm sure cows never get tired of that joke.

This cow was outside Barnes & Noble.

The Hikes

We went on a few easy hikes. I got to read Harry Potter books out loud on the way out and back. Ah, the joy of fellowship with a kindred spirit! ("Nymphadohhhra....")

Here we are at Alberta Falls:


(I got Kerri taking pictures of her feet by the end of this trip. The tradition lives on.)

And here is an acquaintance we met at Bear Lake:


We also spent time at Kerri's house, watching movies and being panted at and entertained by her golden retriever, Chester. He's a Red Wings fan, like Kerri is.

I thought this would seem like a nice long trip, but it turns out Kerri and I don't get sick of each other's company that quickly. Which is cool. The hiking was fun, and the movies were fun, but they were all better because I shared them with such an awesome friend. So here's to you, Kerri! Thanks for a great trip!

No comments: