Thursday, July 27, 2006

Current favorite CD rack discovery: PFR

You know you have them. CD's in your personal library that you listen to so rarely you might as well not even own them, but you can't bring yourself to get rid of them. CD's you got for free, and may listen to someday.

I admit it--I'm a recovering packrat. And by that I mean that I have been getting better at gritting my teeth and throwing something in the trash before I can think twice about it. (Something thrown into the trash is nearly always irredeemable because...well, it's the trash. There's no going back.) A few weeks ago I was looking in my CD cabinet and thinking about how I hardly ever listened to CD's at all, and how there were a few CD's I had gotten for free from a former college/career group leader at my church that I couldn't remember ever listening to all the way through.

Let me pause here to note that writing "CD's" is making me a little twitchy. But "CDs" is just as bad, if not worse. With that said....

I put PFR's Great Lengths in the CD player and fell immediately in like with the group's sound and thoughtful, heartfelt lyrics. I would highly recommend them.

They also cover other artists with thoughtful and heartfelt lyrics. Here's one that jumped out at me tonight:

Trials Turned To Gold
a song by Keith Green

He's brought me here where things are clear and trials turn to gold.
He shared with me His victory He won in days of old.
Oh Lord, I don't deserve the riches of your word,
But You've changed my filthy rags to linen white as snow.
~~~
The view from here is nothing near to what it is for You.
I tried to see Your plan for me, but I only acted like I knew.
Oh Lord forgive the times I tried to read your mind.
Cause you said if I'd be still, then I would hear your voice.
~~~
My Lord, my King, my urge to sing and praise the things above.
No words can say the glorious way you changed me with your love.
~~~
He's brought me low so I could know the way to reach the heights.
To forsake my dreams, my self esteem, and give up all my rights.
With each one that I lay down, a jewel's placed in my crown.
Cause His love, the things above, is all we'll ever need.
He's brought me here where things are clear and trials turn to gold.

2 comments:

Angie Pansey said...

Thursday, you've got a wicked blog going on. Your writing is awesome! Bollywood, Shawshank, being a packrat. All cool. Cheers!

Jessie said...

Personally, I prefer CDs to CD's. I like the way it looks actually, like it doesn't even care that some letters are in caps and one is not.

PFR! Classic. The church we went to in Mpls, The Church of the Open Door, had most of PFR on staff as music pastors. That was pretty awesome.