Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Any new features?

Why, as a matter of fact, yes! Those of you who have been reading this blog and wishing you could comment may now do so. I changed the settings, so now hopefully non-Blogger members can post comments and Blogger members with scamming spamming operations can't reach me. We'll see how long this lasts. Anyway, comment away. I will read your comments. Others will read your comments. You will get to see your words "published." It will be enjoyable on many levels.

You know what I really don't like?

Posts about comments.

Seriously. People who write posts asking for comments sound so pathetic, don't they? "Please validate me as a person by acknowledging my existence in this least personal of all forms of 'communication,' the public blog!" (I fully grasp the irony that I myself am writing of the need for interpersonal communication on a blog.)

Aren't most people crying for acknowledgment of any kind in their hearts? Isn't it amazing how we can skulk around, afraid to talk to people because we don't want to bother them, or to be seen in such-and-such a light, or whatever, and yet if someone were to come up to us and say "Hi" out of nowhere we would take it as a compliment and be so pleased they took the trouble?

Why are we so resistant to admitting that we need people? Who are we kidding?

Essay Question: "A hundred and fifty years ago, there was no internet. Many people still lived in small rural communities. Were people more isolated then or now? Why or why not? Discuss."

3 comments:

Angie Pansey said...

That was the best post I read all day. "Fishing for comments".

You made me laugh!

Jessie said...

I think that perception of isolation (which may be all that isolation actually is--I'm not totally willing to concede that but maybe) has a lot to do with what constitutes NOT-isolation. I'm not sure what that would involve a hundred and fifty years ago, but it would certainly look different than it does today, where isolation might be judged by someone's level of knowledge about news or pop culture or fashion or whatever. It also seems to involve a MySpace account, which annoys me.

So that was just a start to an idea, then.

Thursday said...

Interesting point about the perception of isolation. You can feel isolated in a room full of people just as easily as you can sitting behind your computer keyboard, or you can feel more connected to someone on the other end of a computer link than you do to some "real life" people.

This topic warrants further thought....