Friday, November 11, 2005

"T" as in "Tom," "V" as in "Victor"

Isn't it interesting how many letters sound the same over the phone? And isn't it interesting to hear what words are chosen to represent them? As soon as the woman I just spoke to said "'T' as in 'Tom,'" I knew exactly what was coming next.

One time we had a customer calling in to request a pattern sample, and the number for it was M621-something, and he said, "'M' as in 'Muratone,'" which is the name of the pattern, and it amazed us all because so few people use the word that the letter represents in order to explain what the letter is. (My syntax has been off all week. I apologize.)

Next time we have to spell out a word over the phone, let's start using words and names that nobody else uses as helpful aids. Imagine how entertained the customer service person you are speaking to will be when you say "'T' as in 'Troglodyte,' 'V' as in 'Vermicious.'"

1 comment:

Karl Boettcher said...

When I was working in phone customer service, I memorized the military alphabet code. (Delta, Indigo, Golf) It lead to a lot of people asking me if I was either ex-military, or a former pilot. When I said no, people became so sad. So I decided to be an ex-military pilot. This made people much happier. I guess the customer is always right.