Wednesday, November 23, 2005

A Brief Manifesto

Because I have an opinion for every situation for which I have a quote.

"Turkey Day."

[Pinteresque pause]

I can understand this from people who deny that we have anyone to give thanks to, because we got here by ourselves and we are the captains of our souls and all that.

But from Christians? Are you also too cheap or short-sighted to give thanks? Do you think you're being cute? It isn't cute. Words have meaning, and symbolism matters, and "Happy Turkey Day" reduces the one holiday I have any respect for to the same materialistic level as all the others.

I'm sure nobody I know who uses the phrase has thought about it yet. Or maybe they have and decided that it doesn't matter. Maybe this is what you deal with when you're one of those people who, as my pastor said Sunday night, "wear their feelings right under their skin." Not that I would know what that's like.

No comments: