Tuesday, October 18, 2005

World Withdrawal

I've often wanted to start the world's first Protestant abbey. There is something greatly appealing about the idea of sequestering myself away from everything and everyone. Stay away from people, and they/I won't get hurt. Take a vow of silence, and I won't have to make so many apologies.

Then I remember this annoying passage (Luke 6:32-35):

"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. If you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners in order to receive back the same amount.

"But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men."

So being content when I don't want anything, and trusting God when I know what's going on, and loving people I understand, and not verbally insulting people because I'm not talking to them.... That all turns out to be easy, and hiding away from the confusion and the struggling and the frustration turns out to be escapism.

On the really high plus side, God is kind to ungrateful and evil people. This is extremely consoling. Because without His kindness, our pathetic attempts would just remain pathetic attempts. With it, He gives us the unbelievable kindness of letting some people see Him when they look at us instead of seeing how completely flawed we are on our own.

"In the world, but not of the world." Hard to put into practice, but well worth practicing.

3 comments:

Karl Boettcher said...

I don't know why this deep and moving post attracted this spam. The ways of the internet are strange indeed. I wish I had something more insightful to say, but I just want to say, I appreciated this post.

Thursday said...

Thanks. Oh, and I meant to remove those last night, so I took your comment as a reminder. I don't understand comment spam, either....

Beth said...

Thanks, Suzanne! I needed that!