Thursday, October 13, 2005

Virtual Hanging Out

As Karl first pointed out, being part of the blogosphere feels like hanging out with people I don't get to see often. It can feel like alienation from people I see every week, under the "right" circumstances, but it is definitely a sort of connection with the people I don't see every week. Which would include most of the people who read this blog.

A long, long time ago in a home far, far away (or so it seems), my father and I were having a pre-college discussion. He said that the next four years would be some of the best and most memorable years in my life, and that I would form connections with the people I met there that would be different from any other connections I would ever form in my life because of 4 years of shared environment and experience. (At the time, of course, I rather thought he was just trying to cheer me up.)

I enjoy having a medium like the internet to keep the connections from existing solely in memory.

Or in more casual terms....

It's been fun hanging out with all of you recently.

4 comments:

Jessie said...

That's a good dad you have. I remember a similar conversation with mine.

Karl Boettcher said...

My dad just said, "If ye come back, I'll hang yer scalp as a warning to the rest, now get off a'for'n I put me boot up yer tukas" .... Well, not really. But it would have been a cool story if my father was a pirate.

Karl Boettcher said...

A jewish Pirate

Thursday said...

And why NOT Jewish pirates, too?