Thursday, October 06, 2005

Virtually Friends

I now have 12 blogs I check regularly. Crazy. I'm sure some of you check more than that.

I enjoy reading all of these blogs, but I wonder if all of this blogging really makes us closer. I know that it has in the past actually made me feel alienated--as though people were reading about my life and never feeling a need to enter into it.

Don't assume you know what is going on in someone's life because you are reading their blog. Writing is not called a craft for nothing.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

This is an excellent point. I've done some thinking about what the point of a blog is, if it's not to be as "ME" as possible on the web (which it isn't). It gives us an opportunity to virtually connect with each other, but is that virtual in the other sense of the term, in that it's close enough to real to fool us?

Maybe. I hope not. Maybe it's just so we can celebrate one another's written ideas. I'd like to hope it's something good.