Sunday, November 23, 2008

Spiritual Warfare

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm." (Ephesians 6:10-13)


Somehow in growing up I got the idea that the spiritual forces thing was kind of over. No more miracles, no more demons after you. That was all from the Bible, and since the Bible was now complete, God handed the world over to science. Which was kind of nice, because I like when things are visible and in my face. I've not been very good at picking up on subtlety. I've read the wrong things into just about everything I could.

Then I had a good friend, Jolene, who talked about the spiritual realm as though it were as real as anything she could see. She would pray earnestly for deliverance from oppressive spiritual forces. She didn't leave the house without praying on the armor of God.

Personally, I was afraid that I would confuse oppressive spiritual forces with stuff that makes me uncomfortable, or things my senses tricked me into. I didn't want to be praying away a demon that was really only a piece of undigested bit of beef.

Lately I've been thinking that God doesn't mind me praying away the undigested bit of beef, either. But I've also been noticing a trend. It seems that when I promise God I will do my best for Him in a particular area, or when I make a public proclamation of a truth I cling to, clutter starts accumulating. Someone tells me news I didn't want to hear. Traffic lights are all red when I get to them. I forget to put something I needed on my grocery list. Old worries rattle around with new ones. Thorns grow up around the new plant sprung from seeds of the Gospel. 

I am starting to realize that my weapons are divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses (2 Cor. 10:4). And I am beginning to see you, invisible foes. 

You shall not pass.

No comments: