Wednesday, September 10, 2008

When she was young

Several years ago I had a major computer crash, receiving the error message "Hard Drive Not Found." This had been the computer I had all through college, and had been the family computer before that. I had a lot of stuff on it. I was distraught. Fortunately, I also knew a computer geek named Micah who was able to rescue my data and put it on a CD for me. I uploaded a few things from the CD to my computer, put the CD in a drawer, and forgot there was anything else on it.


Fast forward five years, and I turned to this CD so I could send my friend Abby an electronic copy of the classic work "Cooking with Suzanne." I discovered there was far more on it that I remembered. I have work on there dating back to 1990. Let me tell you, my writing style was not always this (still with me?) gripping. In fact, some of the diary entries from the early 1990's are almost painful to read, managing to combine over- and under-description. But other bits are salvageable, and I will be sharing such bits with you where I find them entertaining.


To start off, here is an excerpt from a letter written July 10, 1993. I find this an amusing look into my 14-year-old world:


"Jeremiah and I went on the Indy Go-Karts, where the phrase 'speed-demon' explained itself. Jeremiah collided head-on with a wall upon coming down a hill, and my Go-Kart was bumped by another driver. I was very tense, and it seemed to me that I was the only one that cared about slowing down on curves and hills. I think I will be a much more responsible driver than any of the others, with the possible exception of Jeremiah. After the Indy Go-Karts Jeremiah and I (with Kathy this time) went on the Slick Track Go-Karts, Go-Karts on an ice-like surface. I hope I never have to drive on real ice, because slipping and sliding around made my neck ache."


1 comment:

one-eared pig said...

How cute!