Thursday, September 18, 2008

Making It Right

This might be the hardest part about life: people need people, but yet people disappoint people. 

I want to believe that people are more than what they seem, but maybe I'm making them up and they aren't even what they seem. I want to trust, but I have so many good reasons not to. A little voice in my head tells me people are out for what they can get from you, however they can get it; they will use you up and throw you aside without even blinking if you give them half a chance. (Don't think I exempt myself from this. I'll be the first to tell you I will let you down in almost as many ways as I let myself down, and almost as frequently.) Perhaps worse than the pain of disappointment is the self-inflicted pain of never letting people get close enough to disappoint you. Because they almost always get in under your guard anyway, and then you're hurt twice. 

People who need people aren't, as the song claims, "the luckiest people in the world." They are the only people in the world. And yet we are frustrated so often by our inability to connect in meaningful ways, by our shallow love and weak or nonexistent trust.

On Tuesday night some friends and I watched a documentary about a woman who used to be a stripper and a drug abuser and a lost soul, a woman who was pursued and loved by and in turn came to love and pursue a patient and gracious God. She now devotes her life to connecting with girls in the industry who are devaluing and debasing themselves. Some people in her community were not okay with this, as though God couldn't use somebody who had sinned so much.

"What could I do to make it right?" a friend asked me not long afterwards, a hypothetical question in response to the issue of hidden sins coming to light. "If you found out about something I had done that disappointed you, what could I do to make it right?"

The first answer that came to mind was "Nothing." It's the wrong answer. And the right one.

It's the wrong answer because it's not who I want to be, who I'm called to be. I may not have committed many of the big Socially Unacceptable sins, but I am daily guilty of selfishness, of loving myself above others, of trying to fix myself, protect myself, take care of myself, live by and for myself. Me. Alone. Nobody else. But if nothing can make it right between and among people, nothing can make it right inside of one person, either.

It's the right answer because it's not up to the people who have wronged me, directly or indirectly--how many people do we wound arrogantly, casually, not even thinking of them at all?--it's not up to them to make anything right. They can't. It's not up to me to make it right. I can't.

But I know someone who can. I know someone who suffered wrong but never inflicted it. I know someone who loves me and forgives me because he is more than big enough and more than strong enough and more than willing enough to do those things. "God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).

And so I will believe that people can be more than what they settle for, because God doesn't settle for leaving us where we are (even when we're happy to be there). God catches up to world-weary ex-strippers and world-weary "good church girls" alike. God won't leave us or forsake us (Deuteronomy 31:8), even when those closest to us forget us (Isaiah 49:15). God makes it possible for us to love people and forgive people and trust people even though we know what they are capable of because we know what we are capable of (I John 4:19). God gives us all we need for our fullest protection and empowers us to throw away the shadow-armor we cling to so fiercely (Ephesians 6:10-17). No, we are never going to attain perfection here and now on this earth. But here and now is not all there is (1 Corinthians 13:12). 

God makes it right. God uses implausible people. And the God who turns mourning into dancing can surely turn deep disappointment to even deeper satisfaction.

"For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life" (Romans 5:9).

No comments: