Friday, September 19, 2008

Making It Right (part two)

I've been thinking more about my post from Thursday, and felt as though it could stand expanding. Because while the most important part of making things right is realizing that you can't do it alone, that's not all there is to it. I for one have wasted far too much time sitting around waiting for God to fix me without me having to expend any energy or put any thought into what's behind what I say is wrong with me. It's possible to do this with relationships, too.

For instance, I've had a lot of relationships that went south, without (or more usually with) my active participation. "Every time you raise your voice I see the greener grass," as Alanis says. Most of those relationships came back around after I had given up on them. I hadn't done anything, but they were given back to me as unearned gifts. This, combined with the fact that the way in which I chose to participate often got me into relational trouble in the first place, makes it easy for me to take a passive "wait-and-see" attitude. Which can be good. Sometimes. But it can also be making the other person do all the work, making the other person responsible to come to me.

On the one hand, over-passivity. On the other, over-aggressiveness, pushing people where they weren't meant to go. I try to walk the line.

If I feel that I have wronged someone and that they are aware of it, I trend towards one of the two extremes above: ignore it or go way too confessional. Either one just adds baggage. In the first case, I end up wondering how much the person remembers, how much our relationship is being affected in subtle ways, how much staying silent can be a form of lying. In the second case, I wonder what possessed me to reveal so much about my motivations and inner life to somebody who was really only wanting to hear "don't worry, we're still friends."

If I have wronged someone and they are unaware of it, sometimes it might be for the best to let them remain unaware. For instance, I had a college friend whose boyfriend broke up with her after telling her he thought she still had feelings for her previous boyfriend. Later, he felt the need to confess that really it was that he had just been using her to try to get over somebody else. I'm not sure that was helpful. I think sometimes we confess to make ourselves feel better, not to heal a breach.

There are situations in which total openness is valuable, but maybe those are only for very close friends and people who are planning to marry each other. My example for this: someone I know whose husband only told her he sometimes suffered from severe depressive mood swings after they were married. A confession that wouldn't have been about an error before marriage became a huge wrong after it.

I once heard somebody say, "People don't want your apologies, they want you." It has the ring of truth. I'm going to wrong and disappoint people, and they're going to wrong and disappoint me. And yet it's amazing what honesty can do. It's amazing how easy it can be to forgive and be forgiven when we repent sincerely and don't drag our self-protection into it ("I'm sorry, but I only did that because...").

Is there a simple 12-step program for forgiveness? No. But what if that's because it could be even simpler, if we didn't spend so much time complicating it?

What if it's as simple as love?

No comments: