Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Dream Log

I don't know if this is true of most people, but my dreams/memories often play out like home movies. That is, I know it is me in them, but I usually see myself from the outside instead of seeing the event through my eyes. I also tend to have extremely vivid dreams in emotionally tense times. (This morning I took a close friend to the airport because she is moving back to California after nine years in Michigan.)

The other night, I dreamed I was Elizabeth in Pirates of the Caribbean. (In my view-from-the-outside moments, I was Kiera Knightley as Elizabeth.) I had some magical power/device that emitted blue rays that caused the top of a sand dune to change to a brilliant white, making it easier to locate the place where the treasure was buried. I also played a scene with Jack Sparrow.

Almost immediately afterwards, I had this bizarre Lifetime-movie dream in which I (again, not really me but me as someone else) was chased down on a sidewalk at night, knocked down, shot in the spine, and paralyzed. (All of which I knew was going to happen before it did, but still had to play out.) I was waiting for the gunman to fire a kill shot, but he was either fooled by my playing possum or he had already accomplished his goal. I had a long rehab, in which my family stood by me like the troopers they are (or maybe it was my family playing my character's family). Then there was a fairly touching recovery where I regained most of my movement, and could get out of the wheelchair to shuffle across the room and hug my mom. When I woke up, I could still feel a tube in my neck.

Can this possibly be my brain de-stressing? A paralysis story and (more disturbing) Jack Sparrow?

No comments: