Sunday, May 24, 2009

No working with an engineering department for me

"Actual life is full of false clues and signposts that lead nowhere," to quote E.M. Forster, "unmanageable because it is a romance."

I had a giant round of interviews last week (8 people, individually, over 2.5 hours) and did not get hired. I did get a lot of interview experience, obviously, and I don't feel horrible about the situation. Not getting hired because of an egregious error on my part would have been one thing, not getting hired because I didn't fit their needs is another. During the course of the interviews, I had two or three people ask me why I was pursuing this sort of career, one that had nothing to do with writing or theatre.

Now, I'm the queen of false clues and signposts and finding hidden meanings where none exist, so I'm not sure, but...I wonder if I'll look back sometime twenty or thirty years from now and be able to see the direction in which God was nudging me in 2009.

I wonder if, in retrospect, it will look rather like a romantic comedy.

No comments: