Saturday, May 16, 2009

I am excited about this book.

First of all, it is by Kevin DeYoung. Second, it has just about the longest title ever: Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach to Finding God's Will, OR How to Make a Decision Without Dreams, Visions, Fleeces, Open Doors, Random Bible Verses, Casting Lots, Liver Shivers, Writing in the Sky, etc. Third, as somebody who's always wanted to wait until she was 100% sure of being 100% right before she actually made a major decision, and who has thus been shoved out of the nest a LOT (e.g. going to college, living with my sophomore year roommate, staying in Grand Rapids, getting a job, leaving the job), I am tired of masking my fear of being wrong or being hurt as "wanting to be sure it's God's will."

I can't take that job. It might not be God's will.

I can't date that person. It might not be God's will.

I can't think about moving. It might not be God's will.

Yeah? For real, Suzanne? You think you're so big and bad you can thwart the will of the almighty God? That maybe He'll have turned His back for a moment, turn around, and be all, "Oh, no, I had the perfect job/man/place for you, and you settled! How could you? I guess there's nothing I can do about it now!"

Here's a quote from the book that a reviewer posted on Amazon.com: "So go marry someone, provided you're equally yoked and you actually like being with each other. Go get a job, provided it's not wicked. Go live somewhere in something with somebody or nobody. But put aside the passivity and the quest for complete fulfillment and the perfectionism and the preoccupation with the future, and for God's sake start making some decisions in your life. Don't wait for the liver-shiver. If you are seeking first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, you will be in God's will, so just go out and do something."

I'm excited. Let's do this.

No comments: