Saturday, August 25, 2007

What is this feeling?

I don't think I can be the only one to experience this.... Today I kept feeling that I wanted to be writing something, but that I didn't know what to write. I wrote 800-900 words (total) on a few separate things, just to be writing, but I wasn't really as into them as I've been sometimes. Even this post is feeling a little forced.

Revolutionary thought: writing is craft, and as such writing can be done even if it doesn't feel right.

Still, I'm feeling a strong need/desire for something that's hovering on the edge of my consciousness, and it's driving me crazy that I can't put it into words and make sense of it. Is this thing fiction? Is it non-fiction? Is it just an item I've left off one of my lists of things to do?

I get this feeling fairly often, actually. Fallout from something that wants doing but remains undone. Maybe it isn't even writer's blues at all. Maybe I just need to clean my bathtub.

Ah, well. While I'm trying to figure all that out, I guess can cross "new blog post" off my mental to-do list....

4 comments:

Jessie said...

Excellent thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Suzanne! I ALSO had that feeling today! Except mine was for piano. I wanted to write a new melody but nothing seemed right.

And I ALSO felt the need to clean my bathtub! So I did!

COINCIDENCE?

Sabrina said...

I must admit that I never feel like cleaning my bathtub... I do it with a good attitude only because usually one of my kids is watching me do it and trying to "help me", aka making a larger mess for me to clean up.

Great thoughts. I often find things hovering around that I need to write down but have no idea how to.

Stephenie said...

Maybe you need to write a children's book? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?