Sunday, October 15, 2006

"Love won't save you" ~ Anakin Skywalker

Revenge of the Sith is one of the saddest movies I have ever seen. It is also one of the most gripping. Even with the mediocre acting, sometimes awkward scripting, and overly flashy special effects sequences, the thematic material emerges strongly. I hate that I won’t have time to watch A New Hope for several days.

Over and over, in story after story, we see the darkness, in one form or another. Sauron. Emperor Palpatine. Lord Voldemort. They show no mercy or compassion, even to those who are on their side. They serve themselves, and will cut down their allies on a whim.

Over and over, in story after story, we see the side of the light, in one form or another. Gandalf. Luke Skywalker. Professor Dumbledore. They go to war when forced, and take no joy in it. They believe, in the face of any and all evidence, that their opponents can change, that enemies can become friends.

Where do the two archetypes come from? Why do they keep coming?

I am story-oriented by nature. All of life reminds me of a story, and every story reminds me of life. Sitting in the hopelessness of Episode III reminds me that I know the end of this saga. The darkness seems unbeatable, but it will be beaten.

Or, as the author of the Revenge of the Sith novelization puts it:

"The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins—but in the heart of its strength lies weakness: one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
"Love is more than a candle.
"Love can ignite the stars."

No comments: