Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Drama Queen

Sunday night a friend and I were discussing how you can't always fully take us seriously when we're whining about stuff because we're both overdramatic. I'm thinking about that conversation today as I'm dying (e.g. I have a cold). I am sighing deeply and making little pitiful moany noises and snuffling and sighing again.

Then there is a part of me that goes into Impartial Observer mode and shakes her head and rolls her eyes and sort of laughs at me just a little bit (in a friendly way), and the other part of me catches her doing this and says, rather sheepishly, "Oh. I'm doing it again, aren't I?"

"You think?" says Impartial Observer.

"Is it bothering you?"

"Not really--it's sort of funny. Just remember while you're hamming it up that it's sort of funny, because..."

"...I have a tendency to take myself too seriously. I know."

In summary: I'm sort of miserable today, and it's sort of amusing me.

Sometimes I feel like my entire life is a performance, for myself if not for others. (You can take the girl out of the theatre, but you can't take the Drama Queen out of the girl.) I'd like feedback on how many other people do this or know people (besides me) who do this...you know, the whole "performing and then realizing you're performing" in real life thing.

No comments: