Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thinking About You

My Communication Arts & Sciences senior seminar class was notable largely for being the class to which I paid the least attention. I sat with two friends (they know who they are) and we passed a lot of notes. I have a very clear memory of the time before class began when one of my friends started a sentence, "So we were talking about you the other night...."

It kind of blew my mind. I talked about people a lot, often repeating fun conversations I had with friends throughout the day, but it threw me to think that other people might be talking about me when I wasn't around. It was like I thought I disappeared from their lives the instant they walked out of sight of me.

Sometimes I still think like that. It's hard, isn't it, imagining what other people's lives are like? They are so separate from you, so different. But you and I should both try to remember these things I've stumbled across since senior sem:
  • A lot of times when you are afraid that someone doesn't want to talk to you, they are not talking to you because they are afraid you don't want to talk to them.

  • Many, many people see you through eyes of grace. You are not the only one who can see someone's faults and love them like crazy anyway. God didn't stop His grace with you, more praise to Him for that.

  • You are both more important and less important than you could ever imagine, and both in very good ways.

  • If other people are going to talk about you after you leave, set the tone for how they do it by the way you talk about other people when they are not around.
Today I heard a couple "we were talking about you" sorts of comments. Even almost ten years after senior sem, I still don't really know what to think about it. I think I feel humbled, and gratified, that people make space in their lives and thoughts for me. It makes me want to be worth it.

I aspire to be remembered in the Philippians 1:3 sense, the way I remember so many of you--how great God is to fill my life with such wonderful people, and how thankful I am for you!

No comments: