Monday, November 29, 2010

Heaven and Resting

I've been reading Heaven, by Randy Alcorn. One of the things he has been talking about is that in Heaven we will be active, employed in the creative exercise of our gifts.

Right now that thought is depressing.

The book of Revelation states (twice) that God will wipe away every tear from our eyes. I wonder if we have to cry them all out first. Because right now, my idea of Heaven is sitting in my Father's lap and sobbing and having Him hold me like He won't ever let go.

Not that He does, even down here. But I really miss the safety of my dad's hugs, and since God calls Himself our Father so often, that must mean something.

Whether or not we have to cry all our tears first, perhaps when God wipes them away He will say something like, "My child, your life was difficult, and it was full of affliction and sorrow, just as I promised it would be." Then He will turn us around and say, "Just as I promised, look what I have made out of it." And that is when we will begin to see the first things made new.

Until seeing Him, nothing in Heaven will be worth seeing. After seeing Him?

I think I will be ready to be active again.

No comments: