Thursday, August 26, 2010

Last Night's Dream

I was in my church (really NOT my church, and much more mega-church-sized, but it was my church in the dream) looking for my first grade Sunday School classroom, but when I found it, it was the 12th grade room, and there were a lot of adults in there, too, including my cousin who goes to my church and her sister and mom. My cousin who is a high school teacher jokingly volunteered to lead the class and I figured I'd let her do at least part of it. The children's singing time leader was there leading them in songs before the lesson. She asked me to lead in singing something, but I was totally unprepared and couldn't remember how the song started, anyway.

I kept trying to figure out a good way to tell them the story of an experience I had recently had. I had looked out the window of the house in Metamora (really NOT the house, but the house in the dream) and seen a few hawk feathers on the lawn. "A hawk was in a fight recently," I thought, and then the next day there were dozens of hawk feathers there and I pointed them out to my mom, and then I went outside and saw a hawk chasing a smaller bird, except as they got closer I saw it was a perspective issue and it was really a bald eagle chasing a hawk, which it snagged out of midair in a burst of feathers. The eagle had greyish feathers in with the white, so I assumed it was a younger bird. When it landed, it was as tall as the house, so mom and I went inside. (I had just been thinking "Wait, bald eagles aren't that big" when the dream shifted to the Sunday School scenario.)

Before I could tell this story, I figured out that there was a room mix-up, and went to find my real class. On the way I ran into somebody asking how to use the copier ("How do I size it? How many copies? Where do I put the soap?"--but when I turned around quickly to tell him NOWHERE, he was grinning, so he was just kidding about that last one).

When I reached the first grade room I found it was massive and had theatre-style seating. There were about a hundred first graders there, most of whom I didn't know, and although there were a lot of adults in this case, too, about half of the kids were jumping up and down the stairs unhindered. The teacher wasn't my usual helper, but the elementary school teacher from the school where I work.

I was just starting to chase a few of the kids and trying to figure out how to make them behave over long range and trying not to crush anybody as I fell backwards over a set of the chairs when I woke up.

1 comment:

Abby said...

Were you boozin' before bed??