Sunday, December 21, 2008

Snowy Sundays

It has been happening once or twice a winter: my church cancels all services due to weather-related trifles like blizzards. Then I have the whole day open, and I don't quite know what to do with myself. You might think it would just feel like an extra Saturday, but it doesn't, and here are the five main reasons why.

1) The rhythm of the weekend is upset if church is cancelled. Usually, it goes: day at work, day running errands and visiting friends, day at church. And usually, by the time I receive notice that church has been cancelled, I am almost ready to leave, and thus not feeling like going back to bed immediately.

2) If church is cancelled, it feels like a serious road situation. I am almost constitutionally obligated not to leave the apartment. (I'm not sure what constitution I'm talking about here.)

3) If I don't leave the apartment, I have a whole day at home, which is rare. And while I may do a few things here and there on a Sunday, chore-wise, I don't make a concerted effort to work like I would on a Saturday. I do any cleaning, organizing, etc. in a consciously more relaxed mode than usual.

4) If I have a whole day at home, I don't see another human being unless one comes to me for some reason, which is almost stranger than me seeing nobody, especially because....

5) If I don't plan to see another human being, I dress accordingly. Today, for instance, I'm wearing sweatpants and a baggy shirt, and my hair is up in loose French braids. Totally casual and very comfortable.

Today I listened to a few sermons online, and I trimmed Apollo's nails and his flight feathers, and I ironed, and I organized my bathroom closet a bit better, and I did a bit of communication on the subject of the youth group banquet, and I have been and am watching the two Anne of Green Gables movies that I own. I missed being with my church family, especially since I'll be out of town for a few weeks now for the holidays, but it has certainly been a restfully productive day. 

Every once in a while, I like being forced to slow down. 

No comments: