Saturday, October 18, 2008

Things I Don't Get #56: Spiky Hair

Okay, okay...I don't really have a list of things I don't get. And I did just randomly pick that number. But it's true that I don't understand the current male obsession with spiky hair, which to me includes any form of hairstyle in which the hair carries too much product to actually move.

I say "current obsession" like it hasn't been around for a while. I don't actually know how long it has been around, because I was home-schooled and thus insulated from trends, but I know that my first exposure to it was when I was about sixteen and the ten-year-old boys I took TaeKwon-Do with were sporting the spiky hair. I used to pat them on the head and mock them for their vanity and for the fact that I could almost slice my hand open on that crusty mess.

Flash-forward to the present, and the crusty spiky look is everywhere. Last night, for instance, I saw a guy walking around Meijer with his hair spiked up so much a bird landing on his head could be killed. (Maybe he fears birds. Maybe the hairstyle is defensive.) 

Despite thirteen years of increasing exposure to it, I still think spiky hair looks ridiculous. This could be more nurture than anything else...neither my father nor my brother has ever gone in much for that sort of thing. I don't mock people for it anymore because it's been a trend for so long it's practically normal now. It's morphed almost completely into "something I personally think looks silly" from "something I mock you for because you're only following the crowd." Also, most boys who were ten when I was sixteen are now too tall for me to pat them condescendingly on the head and crack some of their hair product loose. The mocking just wouldn't be the same, somehow.

Besides, it might take me three tries to wash the gel off my hands.

2 comments:

Thursday said...

Don't worry, Micah. I meant another guy at Meijer. You've never looked quite as ridiculous as THAT guy.

one-eared pig said...

I have popped a balloon or two on a "cool dude's" head in my day...