Saturday, March 15, 2008

When it comes down to it

The weekend of the banquet arrives.

There have been months of planning, and of telling my friends sorry but I'm busy that night, and of rehearsals that don't happen in the right space, and of staying up late planning or thinking about planning, and of performers who haven't started practicing just yet two weeks before the performance date, and of actors who don't know their lines the night before said date, and of people not understanding what this all means to me....


And then acts start clicking, and I'm laughing out loud and bouncing on my toes, and two people are asked to repeat their thanks because I didn't hear them the first time (always a little awkward), and one says I seem stressed and I reply that most of my seeming stressed at this point is really just shifting into high-intensity performance mode (on the jazz as the plan comes together), and Janessa says "You get more patient with us every year." And I say "That's God."

Sometimes the things I get the craziest about are also the things I love the most.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We were so IMPRESSED! How can anyone write not one, but about 15 skits for a single evening, and figure out which hits to perform, and get people to work together for the choreography of each one? And have them be amazingly funny, uninhibited, and entertaining?!
It was GREAT! What a lot of work!!! You are something else!!!