Sunday, March 16, 2008

Buying stuff is hard....

I hate buying...well, I hate buying pretty much anything, if it comes down to it, but I especially hate buying big ticket items. The unknown potential consequences of the decision coupled with the known expenditure are a bit too much for the tight-fisted control freak in me.

I want to buy a new computer. My current model is about four years old, which sounds young to me because I had my previous computer for almost ten years. Of course, I was mostly using that for writing papers in college. The digital revolution passed my current desktop's 40 GB hard drive and 256 MB of RAM a while back. Also, my monitor is even older than four years and has begun flickering in the lower left corner. Also, I've been getting the Blue Screens of Death that I was ignoring all too often on my old computer, right up until it melted down and forgot where to look for its hard drive. So as far as new computers go, maybe it's about time.

I was pretty much sold on a Mac, thanks to both of my major computer geek friends being hardcore Mac devotees, and then today I talked to some friends who were bringing up objections that had been lurking in the back of my mind, too. Things like price, and compatibility, and familiarity, and ease of use due to said compatibility and familiarity. So now I'm all thrown off again. Maybe I could win a computer somehow. That would solve my dilemma. I wonder if somebody would give me a Mac in exchange for writing fanfiction...that's how I got my iPod....

Anyway, as I was saying, I have difficulty with making luxury purchases. The perfect example of how ingrained this is dates back to when I was around 8 years old, and was ogling dollhouses everywhere. I loved the little furniture and other miniatures involved in dollhouse decorating, and I wanted to try my hand at it. My dad made a deal with me. If I would save a certain amount of money, he would match it, and then we could go buy that dollhouse.

At the time, I was pulling in a small allowance from my parents. This, plus birthday and Christmas money, was the total of my income. But I squirreled that money away diligently and made it up to the established savings mark.

We went to The Doll Hospital & Toy Soldier Shop, an excellent toy store on the east side of the state. With my money figuratively grasped in my hot little hands and probably literally in my dad's pocket, I began hunting for the perfect dollhouse.

There were a lot of dollhouses.

A lot.

And the more I looked at them, the more I realized that even if I could come to a decision, I would still have to make similar decisions later, and spend even more money, because the dollhouse would need to be furnished.

I left with double the savings I had when my dad first made the deal with me.

(A few years later, my poor mom would stand in an aisle at Toys 'R Us for approximately an hour while I vacillated amongst three different Barbie dolls that each had a distinctly different hair and swimsuit color.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suzanne am I one of your geek friends? Want me to one by one destroy all of your other friends' anti-mac arguments? I'll do it whenever, just let me know.

ps the preceeding paragraph was jokey. I get that spending money is blah blah and whatever. Okay enough serious talk I want to go computer shopping with your money.

Thursday said...

Micah. If I did not include you on my list of my geek friends, that would pretty much be like saying we weren't friends at all. And then I would just be using you for your awesome technology and average pizza-cooking skills. Which is only PARTLY true.

I seriously want somebody to do exactly what you were sort of offering to do in your postscript. I'm hoping my dad will be able to come up and do that this weekend, but if he can't, maybe you and Brittany and I could make an outing of it sometime post-Mexico....

Anonymous said...

Well I would strongly suggest NOT getting a Dell. I have one right now and it is giving me a lot of trouble that I shouldn't have to deal with. Mac's are very reliable and come with some great starting programs. Compaq is a less expensive brand that seems to do a good job.

Beth said...

Mac all the way, baby! Anymore, unless you're trying to run some obscure programs PCs have never heard of, there are absolutely no compatibility issues to speak of. Nick and I just bought our 3rd laptop, and I have an iMac at my company...and we just switched over a few years ago! Once you go Mac...

I would suggest, if you go with a Mac, get the AppleCare program...not because they're bad machines, but because it's the best tech support you'll ever receive! And you'll need help at least a few times, for various things. I'd like to see ANY PC company top AppleCare! :)

Awesome post, though! :)