Saturday, December 22, 2007

Deflection

Tonight I had a serious conversation about origins, specifically from the viewpoints of young earth six day and old earth framework. It was the sort of discussion I have experienced all too rarely since graduating from college: voices were raised infrequently and lowered quickly, opinions were stated calmly, and in general the participants seemed more concerned for each other than for the outcome of the discussion.

I am not saying that doctrinal stances are unimportant, or that there aren't times when you need to take a firm stand against a position that is leading somebody into sin, or that the Word can mean two contradictory things at the same time. But as we were talking about Genesis, and then beginning to touch on Revelation, it occurred to me that I can't remember the last time I had a conversation that was nearly this in-depth about how I am living.

Or as I said to my friend on the other side of the coversation, maybe we talk so much about the beginning of things and the end of things so we don't have to talk about things here in the middle.

It's easy for me to list off reasons why I believe that God created the world in six 24 hour days. It's easy for me to argue over end times scenarios. But please don't let's talk about how we're doing here in the present moment, because I so much want and don't want all that to be known.

What do you think of women as elders?

1 comment:

brooke sellers said...

The present-moment conversations ARE the more difficult ones to have! To sit across from someone and speak into their life about their here-and-now thinking and behavior, to be vulnerable enough to reflect on how that here-and-now stuff impacts you personally, and to allow the other person to speak into YOUR life, too. What a world of difference between theological debates and being fully present in our moment-by-moment humanity with another person! I'm with you -- i simultaneously long for and fear that type of interaction.

And as for women as elders. I'm for it. Interesting book on women in church leadership: *Men and Women in the Church* by Sarah Sumner (I've met and dialogued with this woman and she's amazing) OR *Why Not Women*(forgot author, but it's put out by YWAM).