Monday, December 10, 2007

Another reason why I like birds more than I like dogs

When it gets dark, Apollo turns off. He doesn't scream repeatedly in the middle of the night for no discernible reason. He doesn't wake the neighbors so that people are yelling "SHUT UP!" at 4:00 in the morning.

He isn't that annoying yippy dog who lives in my building somewhere.

Apollo does sometimes make strange squeaky noises in the night, almost as though he hurt himself. Sometimes I hear flapping and/or falling. When I go to check on him (which I always do, because what if he really did hurt himself?), he is always cuddled under his sleepy toy, as if nothing happened. This is why I believe that Apollo has nightmares sometimes. And also that he either A) doesn't remember them for long or B) is too embarrassed to let on that he had a nightmare.

But mostly, the dark is for sleeping.

And never for waking up half the building.

I appreciate that a lot.

3 comments:

brooke sellers said...

Well, then your bird is cooler than mine ever was! My bird in high school did NOT shut up at night.

Anyway, Suzanne, I'm reading your blog since I discovered a link to it through your Facebook page. I like your style and I get your sense of humor. So I'm enjoying it. I just wanted to "out" myself as a reader who was, until now, silent.

Kerri said...

That is why I am personally a big dog person. In general the bigger dogs don't bark unless they have something to bark at and mine was fully aware of when it was night and therefore time to sleep.

By the way, I like the new look of your blog.

Thursday said...

True,Kerri...we both know that golden retrievers are the best kind of dog ever. If I ever had a dog, it would be a golden retriever.