Sunday, October 28, 2007

Speaking While Tired

I should not speak when I am overly tired. I find myself far more likely to express opinions that I do not actually hold, or at least express them in a way that does not accurately reflect them. Often, when I am speaking while tired, there is another voice in my head asking, "What are you saying? Did you check with the rest of us voices to make sure we agreed on the position you are currently espousing?"

(It is the inability of the tired mind to work in concert with itself that sets it apart from the alert mind. Also, the inability to use words like "espousing.")

For example, today in describing why I did not particularly care if I attended a certain meeting I said that I dislike conflict, which led to me saying I dislike arguments, which led to me saying I only liked arguments I won. Now, I am sure there are amounts of truth in all of those statements...uncomfortably so in the last case. But they don't comprise the whole truth.

Do you often get at the whole truth in a crowded church hallway? Probably not. Still, propogating half-truths doesn't seem like the right solution. Especially because there are people who simply accept the words out of your mouth as the totality of your opinion on a matter (which is most of my real problem with improperly conducted arguments, actually).

As I grow, I want to speak less and say more. Especially when I am tired.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suzanne. I've never simply accepted the words out of anyone's mouth as the totality of their opinion on a matter. Especially not yours. I usually assume there's something deeper going on, but a crowded church hallway isn't the time or place to completely define your black and white stance on any topic.

If it helps.

Thursday said...

I know.

Don't worry, it wasn't a Micah-directed post. Also, sometimes it might happen that you're right. I mean, it's within the realm of possibility. (Baby steps.)

Anonymous said...

To speak less and to say more, that is what your dad does. He doesn't say a lot, but when he speaks, it is with much God given wisdom.

'Quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger'. James 1:19

May we all desire this as we grow older and grow in His grace.