Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Door #2


I confess. There are times when I do not care about you. Not as much as I care about who could be calling me on the phone (cell or otherwise).

Why am I a slave to a telephone ring? Is it because I think someone is calling with a revolutionary bit of information, something I need to know right away? And really, isn’t any information of that sort usually also the kind of information you really wish you had never had to hear in the first place?

Or is it that maybe that person will have something wittier to say than you will, or will be more willing to listen to me talk about myself, or will ask some question that shows they care about me more than you do?

While we’re on the subject, do I hate making phone calls because I don’t want to put people out, or because I’m afraid they will choose Door #3?

Goals for this year:

  • Cut back on answering the phone when real people are right with me—especially since I have an answering machine for my land line and voicemail for my cell phone, and that’s sort of the point of having them. So I don’t have to answer the phone, but people can still tell me what they need/want to tell me.
  • Make telephone calls with confidence.
  • Whether in person or on the phone, grant others the honor of my full presence.

No comments: