Thursday, April 20, 2006

Heard and Overheard

After talking about running outside

Friend: “Don’t go running on the Kent Trails, though, okay? Well, okay, you can run on the Kent Trails, but don’t run with an iPod. And borrow a big dog.”
Me: “And take a gun?”
Friend: “Yeah, take a gun. Or a knife or something…mace. Take mace.”

Before splitting up from the main assembly to go off to our classes last night at church

Pastor: [asks question]
Girl from 3rd/4th grade class: [raises her hand, answers]
Pastor: [asks question]
Another girl from 3rd/4th grade class: [raises her hand, answers]
Pastor: [asks question]
ANOTHER girl from 3rd/4th grade class: [raises her hand, answers]
Pastor: “Wow, we have a lot of young ladies up here tonight.”
Me [turning proudly to the woman behind us]: “Yeah, this is my class.”

My kids rock.


After taking the butterfly clip out of my hair at the end of the class time last night, several 9-year-old girls swarmed around to look at it

Alicia: “Look how curly it is!” [it was wound in one tight rope at this point]
Other girls: “It’s so pretty!”
[A few seconds of running hands through my hair and exclaiming over it followed.]


Somehow awkward-feeling explanation to a guy about why I wasn’t going to hang out last night

“I have this headache….”


Today’s memorable conversation snippet about the weather

Coworker: “I can’t believe it—Wyoming got two feet of snow and in Louisiana it’s 96 degrees!”
Me: “They are pretty far apart.”
Coworker: “No, not really, they aren’t….”
Me: “…”

A song I heard part of when I had to go out and move my car for the landscaping guy, then had to find the lyrics for online

“run away girl”
by Sean Watkins
from his solo CD Blinders On
(he's also part of the band Nickel Creek)
~~~
please show me there's something wrong
that i don't see in you
some terrible secret flaw that no one could excuse
i've tried to hide you from my mind
and make myself forget
please don't try to stay
we'll only make what's clean a mess
~~
run away girl
run away now
run away girl
~~
the way that you smile at me
isn't helping much at all
please try not to laugh it only makes me want you more
we both know this could never be
but i can't let you go
~~
run away girl
run away now......
~~
what if you thought you saw a ghost
a hundred times a day
what if the thing you wanted most
was impossible to say
~~
run away girl
run away now.......

No comments: