Thursday, December 22, 2005

The year draws to its close

For the past few Christmas seasons, I've thought I should send out one of those Christmas letters, or at least cards. Yeah. Still working on that. It turns out I have writer's block when it comes to updates. Also, it has been a crucible year, and I'm still too close to everything to put it all in perspective.

Almost. Because this is the perspective I do have: God has proven Himself again to be, as the hymn says, the joy that seekest me through pain. I can rail against His methods, but He knows what is best for me and what will bring the most glory to Himself, and I would not choose the easier, emptier way.

Abraham and Sarah spent years childless after being promised a son. The Israelites spent years in captivity after being promised a nation. David spent years running from Saul after being promised a kingdom. The world spent centuries waiting after being promised a redeemer. The son was born; the nation was founded; the kingdom was established; the Redeemer lives.

"How goes the world?"
"The world goes not well."
"But the Kingdom comes."


Hallelujah. May it be to me as You have said.

No comments: