Monday, September 26, 2005

On Rest and How Little I Do It Properly

I shocked my coworkers today by telling them that I had taken all weekend to drink lots of fluids, sleep, and lie on the couch watching movies (grand total: 6). All of this after determining that my "allergy attack" was in fact a cold at about 3:30 on Friday afternoon. This was shocking to them because usually I carry on as normal until about two weeks after I should have gone to see a doctor.

I have difficulty resting. Not procrastinating—at procrastinating, I'm a Viking. But I am not stellar at the kind of resting where I am getting the proper amount of sleep or recuperating from illness. This despite the facts that A) I feel better about life, the universe, and everything after I've had a good night's sleep, B) I recover from illness faster when I rest, and C) it's not as though I am not resting because I am doing something of earth-shaking importance. Usually I'm instant messenging or sitting in somebody else's living room all night. I love doing these things, because I love being with and talking to my friends. I just need to learn how to manage my time so that I can do that AND sleep.

Which reminds me of a quote: "I don't sleep. I hate those little slices of death." ~~ Arnie Saknussan, where "Saknussan" is probably spelled very inaccurately, and whose first name probably isn't Arnie, from the movie that is definitely called Journey to the Center of the Earth

Not that I think sleep is a slice of death. But it sure seems like a waste of time, some days.

1 comment:

Karl Boettcher said...

This post makes me sleepy.