Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Too old for this

Within the past year, I've been getting tired of the will-they/won't-they long-drawn-out romantic tension stuff. I used to love it (I cut my adult fangirl teeth on The X-Files), but now I keep thinking, "Say what you want to say. Life is so short."

Maybe it's the accumulated life experience talking, but watching two people dance around each other for years without either having the courage to speak is more depressing than it used to be. And maybe there's the risk of rejection, or the scarier risk of acceptance, but for crying out loud. Just say something.

If I'm going to hyper-invest in fictional lives, they should probably be less angsty.

2 comments:

one-eared pig said...

I agree!

Lisa Ann said...

I don't mind it as much when the characters don't speak their minds because they're not "ready" for some reason (no confidence, trying to get over an event or another person, etc.).

But it drives me crazy when the writers keep manipulating the plot (or creating "misunderstandings") to come up with more excuses to keep them apart. It makes me feel sorry for the characters.