Monday, June 16, 2008

Laughter

They called him laughter
for he came after
the Father had made an 
impossible promise come true
~~ Michael Card

Tonight I am grateful:
  • for a year and a half of depression, of anxious not-knowing, of mortally wounded self-certainty.
  • for the countless times I have clung to the past and He has pulled me unwillingly into the future.
  • for the relationships I sabotaged repeatedly and He preserved over and beyond my expectations.
  • for that day in England last year when just about every one of my plans went wrong.
  • for a work environment that's still up in the air, over a month after we've moved.
  • for a brother who is getting married this November, and for his as-yet-mostly-unknown fiancee.
  • for so much more that I wouldn't be fully grateful for if left to myself.
  • for not being left to myself.
Tonight I am laughing at the impossible absolute truths of love, grace, and a God who is nearer and more essential than my next breath.

Grace has brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me...wherever it will. 

I rest in and because of thee, Beloved.

No comments: