Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Conversations with Myself

Because I live alone, and because I am my father and my mother combined and beyond, and because I have had bad experiences with talking to other people and I have pulled an illegitimate "lesson" from them, and because of (doubtless) an array of other reasons, I talk to myself.

Who else is there? Besides God, and sometimes He doesn't seem so quick to answer.

This is a good illustration of what I mean. Because as I typed that last sentence, this popped into my head: "What if you really already know what His answer is?"

Recently I've been talking to myself more frequently. I talk out loud, because, as a friend said tonight, something that sounds great in your head can sound suddenly stupid when you say it out loud. I know I've had a lot of stupid thoughts turn into even stupider thoughts and spiral down into self-destructive patterns before too long, and if I can stop them by verbalizing them, I would like to try that for a change. (Also, I'd rather sound suddenly stupid when only I'm around to hear it.)

The whiny or confused voice usually leads off these conversations, to be fended off by the decisive and rational voice that reminds me of who I am, and Whose I am, and how common these fears and failings are, and how faithful my Father is. I hope the latter voice keeps gaining ground. I like it better, and I think it is more dangerous on an ultimate level. Sometimes, it even sounds like a quick answer from God.

Funny how often it tells me I can't really live this life effectively inside a series of self-referential conversations.

3 comments:

Lisa Ann said...

You know what's weird, we never talk on the phone. You're one of my bestest friends, and I only see/talk to you once or twice a week lately. So, what I'm implying here is, if you ever have nothing in particular to say, you can call me.

Lisa Ann said...

Also, I'm sorry I don't call you to just talk more often – especially on weeks when one of us is gone for the weekend. I should have mentioned that first.

Thursday said...

Thanks, Lisa. I will try to remember that the phone exists for more than making appointments and talking to my immediate family. :)