Thursday, February 01, 2007

Outrage of the Day

When I renew my license plate this year, they’re going to force me to get a NEW license plate. I like the blue with the white letters. A lot. This is the plate of my entire life, and now they are taking it away from me because they say blue on white is easier to read.

(See, Brittany, life is difficult even after college.)

It’s a good thing I found out about this now. I have 5 months to get used to the idea. And to prep my brain for remembering a new plate number.

Speaking of which, one of the first things I asked my boss when he told us his Secretary of State woes was “Am I going to have to have a new license plate number, too?”

“Noooo,” he said. “They’ll just flip through their files and find out which one you have. Or maybe they can make you one just like it.”

“Right,” I said. “Retract stupid question.”

Then he emailed me later with this:

I just emailed the secretary of state to ask her if you could get the same license plate number when you come in to renew your tabs later in the year. She said that she can’t make any promises but told me to tell you to pay a visit to Rocko Scarcello in cell block # 9 at the Jackson state prison, he might be able to help you out.

4 comments:

Lisa Ann said...

I didn't know they were phasing out the blue ones. I asked for a blue one the last time I got a new plate because they were the cheapest. Are you still going to have to pay more for an "interesting" plate, even if it's your only choice?

Thursday said...

New ones are mandatory as of this year. Since it's a new standard, it will be the same price as the old and familiar blues were.

Nick said...

They're changing the Michigan license plate?! Scandalous! The white-lettering-on-blue is the license plate of my childhood, too.

Ohio changed theirs just before we moved there, and I was bummed to have to get the new one.

But you know what they say... at least it's better than Indiana's!

Thursday said...

"At least it's better than Indiana's" is such a multi-purpose phrase.